Brent Amacker's

Brent Amacker's
A Slightly Different Perspective

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"The KING of COMICS"

I was returning some books to the library that I use for photo reference when I am designing, and happened upon a couple that caught my attention. The first was this image that jumped at me off of the shelf:
"King of Comics" is a rousing explosion of drawings and biographical information on one of the most prolific and influential comic book artists of all time, Jack 'King' Kirby. This coffee-table book not only tells of his career in the pulp fiction industry, but is PACKED with sketches, inked panels, doodles, roughs, and forgotten works. It also exposes a window into the seedy behind-the-scenes of the early comics industry.
Though, admittedly, I wasn't a fan of his style when I was a young boy, walking with my older brother up to the corner store to read and buy (not necessarily in that order) comics. I was used to the simple, cartoony DC style. As a self-appointed 'purist', I didn't understand the appeal. I didn't realize he almost single-handedly revolutionized the medium.
Not only did he create or co-create MOST of the classic Marvel Universe heroes, he cut a swath through DC in the early 70's, as well! And he was a TRUE visionary: Check out the 'New Gods' series, and note the "Mother Box". Closest thing to a cel-phone, gps, blackberry or any of the modern devices you'll ever see.
He dreamed it up in the 1970's.

No comments:

BRENTOONS Media

BRENTOONS Media
Brentoons Media